External hard disk drives (HDD) are used as a secondary form of storage and a reliable backup method. Portable and easy to use, external hard drives typically consist of a standard 2.5″ or 3.5″ hard drive in a simple enclosure with an external port that connects to a computer or other media devices, most commonly via USB. When an external hard drive fails or becomes damaged, Sherlock Data Recovery has qualified recovery experts with industry-leading and professional external HDD data recovery services.
Some of the external hard drive manufacturers we work with are:
- Western Digital
- G-Tech, and many others
Tour Our Hard Drive Recovery Cleanroom
Watch HD Video Tour
Call our 24/7 toll-free hot line to speak directly with a data recovery specialist. If you have a data loss emergency.
Types of External Hard Drive Failure
There are three basic types of external hard drive failure that can result in data loss:
Hard drives have internal parts moving at high speeds and they can become less reliable as they age. A hard drive’s read/write heads hover just above the surface of the platters that store your data, and if they come into contact with the platters, data loss may occur. In addition to internal wearing out and scratching the platters, other common physical failures include:
- Spindle that controls hard drive spinning locks up
- Actuator arms don’t work properly
- Grinding, clicking, or beeping noises on the drive due to read/write head failures
If an external hard drive has an electronic issue, it may stop working entirely or it may report an error message, depending on which of its components have failed. Electronic failures are potentially as serious as physical hard drive failures and should only be handled by experienced data recovery professionals. Some external hard drives experience electronic failure due to:
- Faulty fans on the drive
- Power cords not plugged into grounded, surge-protected outlets
- Power surge, preventing your hard drive from being disconnected properly
External hard drives can also lose data due to non-physical errors that affect how the drive operates. Some of these failures include:
The Challenges of External Hard Drive Data Recovery
Some of the factors that can affect your chances of successful data recovery on an external hard drive include:
- File System – Depending on the operating system used, an external hard drive can be formatted in different file systems including FAT, NTFS, HFS+, EFS and XFS. Our engineers work with all operating systems on external hard drives including Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Hard Drive Size – Some newer external hard drives hold 8TB of data or more, and data recovery is often difficult on larger drives. Our engineers create full clones of repaired external hard drives before using our proprietary software, to recover the data without damage to the external drive.
- Failure Scenarios – As mentioned above, the type of failure scenario affects the chances of recovery, and therefore the recovery tools and procedure that are needed. All physically damaged external drives need to be treated in our certified Class 10 ISO 4 Cleanroom to prevent any danger of media contamination.
Sherlock Data Recovery thrives on challenges in data recovery, so whether your external drive has logical data issues or a severe spindle failure, we have the capabilities, experience and tools to give you the best possible chances of a successful recovery. We have specialized file utilities designed for virtually every file system and file type, and as a result, we offer high success rates for external hard drives.
The Secure Data Advantage for External Hard Drive Recovery
Sherlock Data Recovery is the best Data Recovery Company in the industry. We were the first company to earn SSAE 18 Type II Certification for the highest levels of security and have Class 10 ISO 4 Cleanrooms in each of our labs acrossSouth Africa. We boast an overall 90% success rate for recovery on external hard drives.
After receiving your external drive, we evaluate the damage and complete a diagnostic report that includes a list of recoverable files, price quote, and turnaround time. After you agree to the recovery, our decades-experienced engineers use advanced proprietary tools to bring your external media to a working state enough to image the drive and work to recover your data from a copy of the media. This keeps your device in its original condition.
Sherlock Data Recovery customer service is available 24/7 to start a case for you and also offers emergency data recovery for external hard drives with a 48-hour turnaround. We promise you that if we are unable to retrieve the files from your external hard drive, no other company will have the tools or experience to do it. That’s why we stand by our “no data, no recovery fee” guarantee. You don’t pay the recovery fee if we don’t retrieve your files.
When you need external hard drive data recovery, choose the certified experts at Sherlock Data Recovery.